Friday, August 26, 2016

Coping with the saddest time of the year

Maybe it is the kid in me, but summer is still my favorite time of year. Summer means daylight at 8:30, days at the beach, dips in the pool, fresh burgers off the grill, and refreshing summer beers. My birthday is in the middle of August and has always symbolized to me the beginning of the end of summer. Now as an adult it coincides with fall beers hitting the shelves.

Image result for end of summer

Last week I purchased two 12-packs of summer beer to get me through the rest of the actual summer. If I find more summer beer out there this weekend, I might add to my stash and save them for “sponge-worthy” occasions.

My feelings toward seasonal beer have evolved to a degree. I still dislike seasonal creep and express my displeasure with my wallet by not buying seasonal beer too early, but I have grown to accept it and not let it bother me. At the same time, I don’t want to be locked in to drinking only beer that is “in season”.

As much as I enjoy Oktoberfest-style beers in the fall, and big imperial stouts in the winter, I think I will brew some summer beers in the fall to enjoy during the winter. As fleeting as summer can be, maybe having 12 ounces of liquid summer during the depths of winter will be enough to warm the spirit.

Follow me on Twitter  @JChalifour

Like  The Would-be Brewmaster on Facebook

Share what beers you are drinking with me on  Untappd

View the complete searchable Would-be Brewmaster Archive here.



from WordPress http://ift.tt/2boPm4h
via IFTTT

No comments:

Post a Comment